Monday, February 16, 2009

Tastes Like Summer

Tonight I was tired...up too late last night and too early this morning...makes dinner a chore, which I don't usually feel! As I searched the pantry, fridge, and freezer looking for something easy, I came across a lovely surprise. In the bottom of the freezer drawer I discovered a quart bag of beautifully frozen green beans from Johnny's summer garden.

Without much thought, I tossed them into a bowl and microwaved them with salt, pepper, and a little soy bacon. I prepared a quick batch of Bulgar (rice would take too long!) and dinner was served. In minutes, the beans were bright green and tender, the fresh taste of summer captured at its peak.

A bowl of the beans and Bulgar provided a yummy, high fiber, filling, low calorie dinner (all the better to balance out my Mexican fiesta lunch)! This quick and boring dinner turned into a delicious return to the summer garden. I'm looking forward to savoring the flavors of summer, but until then, frozen produce provides a bridge between the cold winter months and the abundance that's just around the corner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll have to google bulgur. I haven't tried it yet. Love me some snap beans though. :) I'm about to cook tomorrows lunch, swiss chard, turnip greens, shitake mushrooms, and i'm gonna try grillin some tofu in some sweet sauce. Maybe a whole wheat english muffin for my starch. I need something to get me through Tuesday night Yoga. :)