Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Tomatoes Are Here!

Yesterday, I took my usual Saturday morning trip to the Farmer's Market. I always hate to miss it and it'd been a couple of weekends. After coffee with some friends, I walked the circle once to carefully review what was available before making any purchases - making my menu in my head. To my surprise and joy, heirloom tomatoes are beginning to ripen and our wonderful farmer had a good selection on display. I picked up what I believe are Anna Russian, a little Green Zebra, Black Brandywine, (maybe) Marmande and a yellow variety that I can't quite identify. Along with the beautiful heirloom treasures, I picked up some tiny mixed variety potatoes, which included cranberry, purple, fingerling, and Yukon gold. Add to that a red pepper, lovely little eggplant, and some super fresh herbs and I was all smiles!

So what to do with all of these goodies? Make lunch, of course! I sliced up the tomatoes and added chopped basil, salt, fresh ground pepper, and really good olive oil and give it a stir...perfect tomato salad. Next, scrub the potatoes and boil until just tender, rinse and cool. Add a chopped, boiled egg, capers, onion, celery, mayo (I like Smart Balance), salt, fresh ground pepper, and a touch of Dijon mustard...potato salad! To this I added a lovely organic mixed green salad drizzled with just a little olive oil and lunch is served.

Just the variety of colors in this meal shout nutritious! Red, green, yellow...a little healthy fat and a lot of love. Who says salad is boring? Now, what to do with the eggplant and red pepper? Capanota? I still have a few tomatoes left and some mint, perhaps tabbouleh is also in my future? Yum, yum! It's peak veggie season, get out there and get yours!

No comments: