Thursday, August 27, 2009

Planning to Succeed

Life is often about making the right choices. We make many choices every day - some very simple and some much more complex. Choosing what to wear, where to go, if you should do this or that all require a great deal of decision making. The key to all success, however, is planning. Good nutrition is no different. In order to enjoy a healthy life, some attention must be paid to purchasing and preparing to eat healthfully.
The past week or so, I allowed myself to become so busy that I actually ran out of milk AND coffee. I might run out of a lot of things, but I assure you that coffee is not one of them. That was a significant sign to me that I need to slow down and pay attention. Another key for me is that I've been very tired. I'm usually full of energy, but the past couple of days, I've been exhausted! As I've been rushing between appointments and out the door in the morning, I failed to eat breakfast, lunch and even dinner, and I even went through a drive thru as I desperately rushed to make an appointment! Looking back, I see that I've not been sleeping enough...and I've really not been eating well. These two are enough to cause lethargy, moodiness, and (research suggests) weight gain. No wonder I feel so tired. Enough!
Tonight, I got back on the wagon. I had made an emergency trip to get coffee and while I was there (hungry, of course, because I didn't plan!) I also bought some watermelon, grapes, broccoli, carrots, and peppers. All delicious and nutritious foods that require a small amount of preparation. I'll take the time to prepare the fruits and vegetables so that it's ready to go into my lunchbox first thing in the morning. It'll be simple to pull them out of the fridge as soon as I get home for a healthy snack or for dinner. I'll even take the time to boil some eggs, because they're a great high-protein snack, part of my breakfast, or in salad for dinner. I'll set aside an appropriate amount of time for meals - building them into my schedule just like any other important appointment. I can expect to feel better, because I've got a plan. Make a plan for your own nutritional health. If you need help, a registered dietitian is a great resource; find someone today at www.eatright.org.

No comments: