Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks

This is me outside the "original"
Starbucks in Seattle.  I'm a coffeeholic too!
Eating healthy during the holidays can be a challenge - even for those of us who have way too much education in nutrition and food.  Cakes, cookies, candies and more vie for attention and beg to be eaten with a warm glass of hot chocolate. But that moment of delight can upwards of 500 calories to your daily total and it's just not worth it...every day.  Once in a while, it's okay to indulge, but do it sensibly.  I never deny myself something I really want, but I always moderate portions.  The typical slice of dessert is too big and I will really only enjoy the first few bites, so a sliver of a slice of pie will make me just as happy after a meal is plenty.

And avoid the sugary drinks, because calories you drink don't provide any sense of fullness.  They just add tons of calories!  A tall (that's the SMALL) Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with whip will run you more than 400 calories, but a tall skinny latte is just 100 calories.  That 300 calories makes a huge difference when you do it several times a week.

Even when I travel for business, I find time to exercise;
it's a great way to see a new city. 
This is from a recent trip to Richmond, VA.
It's also time to talk about getting moving.  You can't balance all those calories without moving.   So strap on some tennis shoes and go for a walk!  This is the perfect time of the year to sign up for a 5 or 10k.  The weather is crisp and beautiful.  Or dust off that bicycle and take it for a spin, visit the local YMCA for a swim, or join one of the 24 hour gyms around town.  It can be your Christmas gift to you!  As for me, we have a gym in our building.  Monday morning I got there early for 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the stationary bike.  I also went for a 10 minute walk in the afternoon when I was feeling a little slump.  That instead of a candy bar will make a huge difference!  Today, I'm power-walking my neighborhood.  And tomorrow, I'm starting the day by participating in a fundraising 10k - 6 miles will definitely help me work off the impending meal.  What's your plan?

But I digress, the name of this post is Giving Thanks, so let's talk about gratitude.  Gratitude is the practice of being thankful.  In my case, that means being thankful to my God for His immeasurable mercy, love and kindness to me.  I'm grateful for good health, a job I enjoy, and family and friends who know and love me.  This season often gets overshadowed by the turkey, but he truth is that it's not about the food.  Here are some of my strategies for managing the "BIG Day" and still feeling good about myself at the end:
My potluck plate.  Not too bad - the bowl is
chicken gumbo. No seconds, but I did have
a sliver each of pumpkin pie and
peanut butter chocolate chip cake!
  1. Eat breakfast.  Don't start the day starving or you'll just overeat at mealtime.  Eat a sensible breakfast, whole grain cereal with skim milk (or milk alternative), scrambled egg white with veggies, or even a simple smoothie if you're not a big breakfast eater.  This is especially important if you'll be cooking all day, since it will help keep you from nibbling on everything as you go - a bite here and a bite there can also add up!
  2. Skip the appetizers.  Make sure you have a nutritious snack before you go to your Thanksgiving meal if you suspect there will be time waiting for a meal to start.  Don't eat the dip, canapes or bread - unless it's plain crunchy veggies - or you'll just be tacking on 300-500 calories before you even get started.
  3. Have a bite of everything you want.  When it comes time to make your plate, have a bite of everything you want - but just a tablespoon or two!  It's all you will need, trust me.  You'll be stuffed if you mound a full portion on your plate.  Be conscious of the color (or lack of color) on your plate - make sure you have something fresh and green.  When your plate is full, you're done.
  4. Skip the booze.  A glass of wine is okay, but more than that isn't really worth it.  Eggnog and spiced cider are typically full of sugar and just not worth the calories.  Plus, drinking alcohol lowers your inhibitions and you're more likely to overeat.  Drink water or sip sparkling seltzer with lime instead.
  5. Moderate dessert.  Choose your favorite one or two items and have a very small serving of each.  There's no reason to skip it altogether, but your portion should be appropriate to the fact that you just had a big meal.
Remember, it's not about the food, it's about the blessings.  Enjoy the meal, but savor the time with those you love.  Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!
This is what I'm most grateful for and hope you have this peace too!

Do you have any tips you use to help during the holidays?  Do share!

No comments: