Monday, February 27, 2012

OMG, she's so skinny!

I love fashion and I love the movies. That's why the Oscars are always such a fun night for me. I get all giddy watching the beautiful dresses walk down the red carpet, jewels glittering, white teeth shining between ruby red lips puckered up beneath a shiny flowing coif.   Somehow, this year seemed a little off.  Is it me or did the 2012 seem to highlight even thinner women than normal?  There were definitely a couple of times when I shouted, "OMG, she's so skinny!"  I mean, I know it's Hollywood, but seriously.  Remember, the camera puts 10 pounds on you (they say), so what does that mean for the emaciated looking red carpet goers to this year's award show?  I'm talking skeleton-with-skin, bones-sticking-out-in-places-they-ought-not thin.
Source

I am a big believer that people come in many shapes and sizes.  We're not all meant to be a double zero, for Pete's sake.  And being a size 22 is not the healthiest size either.  Somewhere in there is an "ideal" size for you and me...and it's not necessarily about a dress size, a number on a scale, or the number of ribs that can be counted.  Many of the women in films and of fashion fame today are no where near representative of a healthy or normal size.  Thankfully, there were also some really healthy looking women, with curves, and appropriate fullness that looks like healthy fitness (thanks to those women for flaunting it!). 
Source

As a dietitian, I focus on health.  I'm not even sure what that number is on the scale and I have clothes in at least three different sizes in my wardrobe.  The place where my jeans aren't too tight, I'm not afraid to eat dessert, and I feel good naked in a swimsuit is the place I try to maintain.  Unsurprisingly, the times when I feel most like this are the times when exercising regularly, eating nutritious meals, and am well hydrated.  So, rather than motivate me to be super skinny, watching the dress show last night reminded me that my focus needs to be on a healthy me - not on trying to meet some impossible thinness that's probably not healthy anyway.

What does a "healthy" you look or feel like?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am a student studying to be a dietitian. I agree with you on so many levels in this post. I believe women (and people in general) come in all different "ideal" sizes. It is overwhelming to think you have to fit in a particular size to be beautiful, healthy, and love life.

I, too, love the Oscar shows and such... I think the stars that are lean and not just skin and bone are beautiful and happy... the others just want a hamburger!