Sunday, February 19, 2012

Road Food: LA Farmer's Market

When I'm on the  road, I love to find unique and local places to eat and visit.  Los Angeles was no different and I had the great fortune of visiting LA's Farmer's Market.  It was fantastic!  It's a little pretty for a real farmer's market, but that seemed to fit LA.  There were dozens of little shops including produce stands, butcher shops, bakeries, and those selling candy, ice cream, donuts and coffee.  Some of the shops were really little restaurants and they had everything you could think of from sushi to soul food.  I got some delicious fried plantains and seafood seviche, but I ate them before they could be photographed.  Sorry!  Meanwhile, here are a few pictures of my favorite part of the Market...

I loved the produce stands with fresh fruit and vegetables. This is the kind of "vending" I can go for when I need a snack.

They had a fruit called a cherimoya, which I'd seen but never tasted.  Green and oddly shaped like a human heart, with strange flat leaves.  The flesh is like an apple, they say, but I still haven't had one!

My  souvenir from the market was edible...of course.  Blueberries and gourmet baby tomatoes. They were the perfect traveling snack - high in water, to help rehydrate me, and antioxidants to reverse the effects of poor quality air, lack of sleep and being off my usual diet high in fruits and veg.  When you have the choice, always choose fruits and vegetables and always go for color.




No comments: