Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mindfulness On My Mind

There seems to be a lot of momentum behind the concept of mindfulness these days.  Is it a trend? I hope not, because I'm totally loving it.  In my life, I call it living "one day at a time" and sometimes that translates into one moment at a time.  It applies to so many areas of life, but the whole concept is wrapped up in the idea of experiencing the here and now...being present.  I want to be present.  I want to be in my life, experiencing every moment, not living as a bystander watching my life happen.


 I want to watch the sun rise and set...the light move across the things around me.


I want to notice beauty in nature.


I want to enjoy the smile of people I love...and of strangers. (And I want to be silly.)


I want to taste and experience the food that I eat.

I want my life to be a  joyful experience.  I want to notice it now, not half remember it later.  I want my mind to be where my feet are, where my taste-buds are, where my heart is.  I get to do all of this, anytime I choose.  By incorporating mindfulness into every aspect of my life, I am connected to myself and others.  In what areas of your life do you (or could you) practice mindfulness?

No comments: