Friday, August 31, 2012

Quick, Quick Eggs and Veg for Breakfast

I love breakfast.  If you know me very well, you know that I wake up hungry...HUNGRY!  Pretty much every day, I wake up thinking about breakfast.  Sometimes I actually go to bed thinking about breakfast.  I don't know what it is.  Fond memories of pancakes and biscuits and omelets?  Yeah, that's probably it.  But these days, I don't have time to make those.  Enter super easy, nutrient-packed breakfast like this - scrambled egg, veggie, cheese mugs.  For the record, I am not the inventor of the egg mug, but I love the idea and have incorporated it into my eating habits.  Anyway, here's a simple step-by-step so you too can enjoy the deliciousness and ease of this breakfast treat - which, BTW takes only about 5 minutes to make.


 Step 1: Assemble your ingredients. In this serving for me one, I used 2 eggs (kinda small ones that I got from my parent's next door neighbor), a couple of sugar-sweet tomatoes from my garden, some leftover broccoli, and Mexican shredded cheese.  Spray the inside of the microwave safe mug with cooking spray (otherwise, your eggs will be stuck in there forever and no one wants eggs in their coffee).

TIP: This is a great way to get veggies in at breakfast. Eggs and veggies go together perfectly!  I could have used some raw or cooked spinach, cauliflower, shredded carrots, onions, or potatoes or any combination of those and it would be great.

 Step 2: Scrambled the eggs with a tiny bit of water, salt and pepper, and then add all of the other ingredients and mix together.  The water produces steam, which helps cook the eggs and makes them fluffier.

If you want to, you can use one whole egg and one or two egg whites for a little less fat, but I love whole eggs.  I don't eat them every day, but I do eat them 3-4 times per week. The yolk contains lots of nutrients, including lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect eyes and choline, which may provide some protection for the brain.  And, Lord knows, I need my eyes and brain protected.

Step3:  Pour the ingredients into your prepared mug and microwave for 1 minute.
 Step 4: After one minute, stir the mixture and then cook for one more minute.  The egg mixture will puff up like crazy - it's really a souffle afterall - but shouldn't go over the rim.  As you can see here, it will settle right back down the moment you take it out of the microwave.
That's it!  A protein-filled, nutrient dense, delicious start to the day...in about 5 minutes.  No excuses for skipping breakfast!

No comments: