Monday, September 10, 2012

What the heck is farro and what do I do with it?

I have a confession to make (appropriate, right?)...I don't eat the "recommended" amount of grains each day.  Not because I'm cutting carbs or concerned about bread or even because I don't like them.  I just don't think about them the way I do other foods.  I eat tons of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins...even some dairy or dairy alternatives...but grains just don't always appeal to me.  When I do eat whole grains, it's usually as a slice or two double fiber bread or oatmeal, sometimes I make rice or quinoa as a side for dinner.  However, that may be changing.

Not too long ago, I was introduced to farro and this weekend I made a new delicious whole grain recipe and I couldn't wait to share it with you.  Have you tried farro?  You totally need to, because it's super yummy.  It's chewy and hearty, with a tenderness and robust flavor that's not overwhelming, but makes you want to eat it at every meal.  It's an ancient grain and high in fiber, protein, and minerals like magnesium and iron.  This is a recipe that takes a little time, but is completely worth it.  Enjoy!

Farro Risotto
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1 small celery rib, finely diced
1 cup farro
2 cups water or chicken stock (plus more as needed)
1 Tbs chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
Pinch of salt
Pepper to your taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Zest of one lemon and the juice of 1/2

In a heavy bottom pan (or in a rice cooker), melt butter and add onion through farro.  Saute on medium high heat until onion begins to be translucent and farro begins to toast.  Add 1 1/2 cups of the water or stock, herbs and salt and pepper, then cover and simmer. 

 Periodically, check the farro, stir and add more water or stock until the farro is tender, but al dente.  This will take 45-55 minutes.  When the farro is ready, add the Parmesan, lemon zest and juice and stir to combine.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
This risotto is not creamy like traditional risotto - maybe it's more like a cross between a risotto and a pilaf.  You could replace some of the liquid with wine, add mushrooms, chopped nuts, or omit the cheese and butter (use olive oil instead) for a vegan option. It's great served as a side with some roasted beets and a green salad, with or without a side of blackened chicken, or as a vegetarian main entree.

No comments: