Sunday, November 25, 2012

Stocking (Homemade) Supplies

Stock is something I use a lot.  I make soup about once every two weeks - more often now that it's colder, put it into veggies when I saute to add  flavor, and have used it in mashed potatoes to add flavor without a lot of added fat.  I hate to buy stock, however, because it's so easy to make and it's a bit of a rip off when you consider the actual cost!  Plus, I almost always have everything I need.  Here's how:
Everything goes into the slow cooker.
First, keep the carcass from that rotisserie chicken you bought last week (or that you will buy this week).  Put it in a freezer bag and save it until you're ready to make stock.  To the bag, you can add a second carcass (I like to use two), onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery trimmings.  You can also do this with that turkey carcass or ham bone from Thanksgiving or Christmas.  What, you say, ham stock?! Yes!  Imagine using it for 5-bean soup or split pea, just remember the ham bone will have a lot of residual salt, so no need to add additional salt to the broth.

When you're ready, here's the basic recipe:
  • 2 chicken carcasses, most of the skin removed, plus whatever vegetable trimmings you saved
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 2 carrots, scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 tsp whole peppercorns
  • 1tsp salt (unless using ham bone)
  • 2 dry bay leaves
  • 4 sprigs fresh parsley
  • 2-4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 sprig fresh sage
  • Add water and then simmer for 6-8 hours.
  • 1 hot pepper, split (optional)
Put everything into a large slow cooker - at least 2 quart size.  Cover with water.  Cook on high 6-8 hours.  Strain stock and store in freezer bags in portions you think you will use (I do this by putting the bag into a measuring cup, so it stays upright while I ladle the slightly cooled stock through the strainer into the bag).  I store in 3-4 cups by portioning into labeled freezer bags and then freezing them flat in a square baking pan so I can easily store them in the fridge.  The total yield on this will be about 8 cups of stock.  If your stock has a lot of fat, you can skim the fat off the top or pour the stock into one of those fancy separators - they are handy, but mine is packed in a box somewhere.

Here are some other options to try: Replace the fresh herbs with 1 tablespoon of herbs de Provence.  Add some zing with a lemon by cutting in half, squeezing juice in and tossing in the whole fruit. Give it a little Asian flavor by adding in 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce (omitting salt in the basic recipe), and a large handful of chopped lemongrass.  You can also use bell pepper, parsnips, mushrooms, or other veggies that are almost ready to toss out.  Just chop and toss in your freezer bag and use when you're ready to make stock.

I think this stock is as good as any I buy at the store and it's a heckuvalot cheaper.  I make this recipe about once a month or when I have time and I know it saves me money, plus I get to control the ingredients.  No preservatives, flavor enhancers, excess salt or other stuff.  Just the good stuff.  I put it on early on a Saturday or Sunday and let it cook away while I do chores, or go shopping, or hang out with dh.  Enjoy!

No comments: