Sunday, December 2, 2012

Week 3: Getting Real and Being Flexible

Well, last week was a challenge!  How about you?  Did you try any of the produce?  Any fun new recipes?  I can say for us that it turned out to be a much busier week than anticipated and we ate out one additional evening, skipping the stuffed peppers.  I also made some changes during implementation – I used the acorn squash and sweet potato to make soup early in the week, because I realized that I had extra stock that needed to be used up (“Crockpot Creation”).  I also didn’t harvest the turnips from the garden, because I didn’t have time.  I’ve included the recipe for the soup below.  Also, totally had a ton of sweets all week – cookies and chocolates, even a milkshake!  That’s the getting real part.  =)  

This week’s menu is simpler.  I have a couple of evenings out and want to keep it simpler than last week for my own benefit (yours too!).  I've also included some links to recipes that I like (please note, they are not my recipes and I don't have any affiliation with the companies or websites where they are housed).  Here’s the scoop: 

This week's grocery haul.
  • Sunday night – okay, you already ate dinner, but I’m including in case you want to plug this in elsewhere – Grilled Chicken Drumsticks (marinated in Greek Dressing), Grilled Zucchini, Onion and Red Pepper with Avocado and Lime, and Steamed Greens with Garlic
  • Monday – dinner with friends
  • Tuesday – work event
  • Wednesday – Grilled Salmon, Lemon Carrots, and Green Salad with Roasted Beets & Feta Cheese
  • Thursday – Baked Penne Pasta with Broccoli and Soy Sausage (Gimme Lean brand, but I like to brown the sausage before cooking with the pasta, since it gives it a meatier texture), Green Salad
  • Friday – date night out
  • Saturday – Slow-Cooker Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili with Cornbread and Green Salad
Flexibility is one of the keys to successfully managing anything, in my opinion.  So, as you think about making changes to your eating style, be flexible.  If you don’t like a vegetable I’ve suggested, substitute something you like (try to choose a similar food – ex. Spinach for turnips, but not corn for broccoli).  And if a meal’s going to take too much time one night, swap it for another night when you have more time for prep.  Whatever – remember, the goal is to have ½ your plate fruits and vegetables, no more than ¼ whole grains and ¼ lean protein.  Use the visual and then fill in the blanks.  Be forgiving too!  I got a bit off last week, but I’m starting again – no big deal.

Slow-Cooker Curried Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

  • 1 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped (you could also substitute butternut squash)
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
  • 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • 4-6 cups chicken stock
Toss everything in slow-cooker and add stock just to cover.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.  Puree Soup with immersion blender, or in regular blender (being careful to vent blender to prevent hot soup from splattering out).   Top with a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.

Great served with some sauteed vegetables (and field roast like in the picture) or a green salad for a nice lite supper.

No comments: